.jpg)
The 18th of this month was my dad's birthday. The second birthday since he's passed away. I was surprisingly okay. Not that I wasn't sad, but I didn't have any major meltdowns. On the way to church I finally got around to reading an article that a friend had given me at Bible study several weeks earlier. I had forgotten about it until I happened to notice it tucked inside my Bible. It was about "centering down" and learning to be still before God. Once again I was shocked by the sweetness and goodness of God (when. will. I. learn?). That he would remind me on a day when I needed reminding that all I needed to do was be still and trust in my God. Many of you also know that Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God," is significant and special to me because of the way God used it to to comfort me during this very difficult loss. That afternoon, Sugar Plum and I were downstairs scrap booking and I told her that today was Poppy's birthday. She asked me, "Mom, can we sing Happy Birthday to Poppy in Heaven real quiet." So we did. We quietly sang Happy Birthday just me and Sugar Plum. Then she said to me, seeing that I was sad, "It's okay mom, Poppy is celebrating his birthday in Heaven!" Leave it to a four year old to give you a big dose of perspective. Thank you Lord that our pain and grief and suffering are short-lived. Thank you that they have no place in our Eternal Home. Thank you Lord that you make it okay.
.jpg)
A favorite past-time-fishing. This was taken at the beginning of Sept. 2007.
.jpg)
Me and my dad. Love the vest and hair, Dad. He made it look good!
.jpg)
A photo booth at Disneyland...or Knott's...I can't remember!
.jpg)
The picture my dad kept of us on his bedside table. One of his things I brought home.
One of the things I've learned the most through losing my dad is that God can and does heal. Nothing and no one is too broken for Him. He is the Great Physician. He has the power to heal hearts, bodies, and souls if you let him! My dad and I weren't always close when I was growing up, but we always loved each other. I'm grateful beyond words for the closeness I was able to share with him before he passed away. That I was able to see my dad play with my babies. God has most definitely used this experience to grow me closer to him. After my dad's death I decided to be baptized. I had been baptized as an infant, but felt Him urging me to make this commitment to Him as an adult. I've learned that when you hear God calling you to something, it's in your best interest to jump up in obedience!
2 comments:
That is so cool that you and Sugar Plum sang to your dad - thinking about that made me cry. Thank you for sharing this with us. You're such an encouragement!
We love you!
Post a Comment