But she kept bending the rules. It started with an innocent extra five minutes before and after nap time, a half hour before bed time because she was so tired, a half hour in the morning while she watched cartoons...
And then the whining started. She was whining for it all day. So it was time...
Time to get rid of the pink nukie.
There was a big debate going on inside my head. Do I take the nukie away now, or wait until a few months after the baby comes?
Then reality reared its ugly head and the obvious became, well, obvious. Waiting another 6 months to take away her nukie wouldn't be any easier than taking it away today.
Truthfully, the nukie was hanging around because it was convenient for me. Ella has always been a great sleeper, and the nukie has been a big part of that. Selfishly, I didn't want to get rid of it because I didn't want to interfere with her sleep...or my sleep.
So we talked about it and decided that today (or Feb. 5th, as it was) was the day. I got out the scissors and cut the nipple off Ella's favorite pink nukie. Then I set it on the counter and waited for her to find it.
When she did I told her it was broken and the other ones were gone.
The first night she cried herself to sleep. It didn't take long, maybe half and hour. She woke up bright and early at 7 am, but she did sleep through the night.
The next few nights the crying didn't last as long, and again she slept all night and got up early.
This morning was brutal, she was up at 6 am. Mark went out to the couch and he made her lay down in bed with me. She chatted and played until the whistle blew at 7 am. Then she said to me, "cock-a-doodle-do, it's time to get up!" Um, no it's not.
The hardest part of getting rid of the nukie is that nap time has seemed to go with it. I can't get her to sleep during the day without it. So by late afternoon...well, you know.
But all things considered, it's gone much more smoothly than I had anticipated, and I'm so thankful.
Farewell, pink nukie. You were a good friend!
No comments:
Post a Comment